The City of Prague and the Prague Municipal Gallery will jointly purchase a new figurative sculpture by sculptor Jan Hendrych. The figure of a woman will be placed on the Štvanice island right at the onramp to the new Štvanice footbridge, whose construction is just about to be completed.
The life-size statue of a female figure will be placed in an intimate situation on Štvanice Island at the point of contact between the footbridge ramp and the island’s floor. The figure will be placed on a 1.5-meter-high plinth and will be made of patinated high-strength concrete, the same material as the footbridge.
Professor Jan Hendrych, a Czech sculptor, painter, and restorer, was born in Prague in 1936. He studied sculpture at the Academy of Arts and Crafts in Prague with professors Josef Wagner and Jan Kavan, and later at the Academy of Fine Arts. After the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, he was no longer permitted to exhibit his art, so he made a living restoring sculptures, especially Baroque sculptures on bridges.